You can call me Nothing

Reading in the Book of Mormon for one of my upcoming posts on Hubpages.com for a new article on prayer, I came across a scripture that my Bishop shared with me while in a meeting. 

The reference was in Mosiah 4. In this chapter is one of the scripture mastery verse that I was obliged to memorize on my mission in the Cape Town South Africa Mission, Mosiah 4:9-10. 


As soon as the Bishop mentioned that chapter the words "Believe in God...." popped in my head along with a rush of memories and emotions about my mission. I was surprised when the bishop moved to verses 4 and 5 instead. 

And king Benjamin again opened his mouth and began to speak unto them, saying: My friends and my brethren, my kindred and my people, I would again call your attention, that ye may hear and understand the remainder of my words which I shall speak unto you.
For behold, if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your nothingness, and your worthless and fallen state—
We had been talking about how wonderful the gospel is and how it has blessed our lives and how it is the best thing we had come across and he was not telling me to understand my own nothingness!!!!

As I thought upon it and how much God is everything in my existence because without Him I would not be here! I realized that in comparison to Him I am nothing! I am like a new infant in comparison to its parents. 


Infants are here and dependent upon their parents for all things. I am the infant dependent on God for all things until I learn how to be like Him as He promises us through our Savior Jesus Christ.


Which means that I must then remember that all of us, all people, are in  stages of development and should be willing to view each other with forgiving eyes and open hearts as we would view novices like infants. 


I am struggling along with each other person to be the best I can in life, so I should judge less and support more as do parents of infants! I love The Book of Mormon. Now go and read chapter four of Mosiah!!!


Related Articles


I step off the airplane for the first time in Salt Lake City. I feel extremely nervous. It’s my first time so far away from home. It’s actually real! I actually am an ordained minister of Christ, a missionary!

Lessons You need to Learn!

The Lord is very careful of whom he chooses as his prophets, but he gives each one the chance to prove that he can live up to the potential that is expected of all of Heavenly Father’s children.

Missionary Stories: We Felt Impressed

Cape Town. It is an exciting city. Just about anything you find in a large city you can find in and around Cape Town. As a missionary serving in that area, I was about finding souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can