The Gall of Bitterness

Another Testament of Jesus Christ

The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ is a record of God’s dealings with the inhabitants of ancient America



Studying the Book of Mormon, I read the last sentence in verse 31 of Mormon chapter eight. It speaks about the gall of bitterness and the bonds of iniquity. I understood it to mean that a person in the gall of bitterness is surround by it on every side and held back by iniquity. I felt the desire to go forward and explore this option.

Reflection

I thought about myself and my wife. She once told me that she was upset that she could not do what she wanted to do and still be a good person in the gospel, or she was angry that God would not allow us to have some sins. I did not understand when she told me her feelings for frustration at the time but now it makes sense.
I thought about how often I have felt as she did about the things in life I wanted to do, but felt trapped by my religious beliefs. Some of those things I wanted to do having the thought that it will all be okay in the end as the first part of chapter 8 of Mormon verse 31 hints that such people do.
Mormon, the Author of this passage that was Translated by Joseph Smith II, is speaking of the coming forth of the record known as The Book of Mormon and the type of environment that will prevail. In other words, today's society,
Read
Yea, it {The Book of Momron} shall come in a day when there shall be great pollutions upon the face of the earth; there shall be murders, and robbing, and lying, and deceivings, and whoredoms, and all manner of abominations; when there shall be many who will say, Do this, or do that, and it mattereth not, for the Lord will uphold such at the last day. But wo unto such, for they are in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity.
I then searched the Merriam-Webster dictionary for the usage and meaning of gall and was surprised to find out that gall means the bitter yellowish fluid from animals called bile used in medicine. The point is that it, gall, is bitter.
It then listed bitterness of spirit or rancor. The last and most biting listing to me was "brazen boldness coupled with impudent assurance and insolence." I was touched by the final definition.
The Book of Mormon, a record of holy scripture written by ancient prophets, gives an account of God’s dealings with the former inhabitants of the American continent. It contains the words of Jesus Christ, and even has an account of a visit that Jesus



Conviction

How could I have the audacity to take a commandment of God and say, "Allow me to disobey because I enjoy this sin and it comes naturally to me? Allow it if you love me and want me to be happy because I think the universe should make an exception for me and cater to my wants and desires whether they be good or in this case bad."
I could see the bitterness of spirit in my desire to sin without regard and receive no forgiveness because I thought I was too good to repent. How cocky or impudent is my assurance that I could dare excuse myself of a sin just because I like it?

Understanding

Now I know what being in the gall of bitterness means.
If bitterness had gall or its own secretion of bitterness, I would be swimming in it! I am full of self-righteous contemptuous pride thinking that I can circumvent the commands of God.
In my life I can see that over some issues that I have become one of "many who will say, Do this, or do that, and it mattereth not, for the Lord will uphold such at the last day."
The Lord Himself reveals saying "...wo unto such, for they are in the gall of bitterness" or the arrogant contemptuous self-serving posture full of pride and malice for the commands that are meant to help us become like Father in Heaven, "and in the bonds of iniquity" or a slave to the ungodlike desires to do wrong without any punishment or repentance just because it feels good.

Resolution

I know now that I do not want to be a slave to my flesh because I think my sin deserves a special pardon because I am too weak to trust in Christ's atonement to overcome it. I want to master my sins and step out of the gall of bitterness and be removed from the bonds of the iniquity that holds me fast.
I do not know about you reader, but I aim to recall all my words so that I may remember when I feel justified in sin to pray for forgiveness and strength to master the sin and not allow it to master me.
For those of you without Christ reading this...
The moral of the story is to do what is right even if what is wrong feels good. In the end, you will receive inner peace and satisfaction about your decision to uphold your personal determinations.
An abridgment taken from the book of Ether (another character) also, which is a record of the people of Jared (another tribe), who were scattered at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people, when they were building a tower (tower of ba

Inner peace is for all people who truly follow the path of light and goodness--a universal law.

Can